FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups
Old May 7, 2018, 9:00 am
samm

Programs: AA EP
What does everyone think about this? This is being framed as a permanent change (at least for the duration of the construction project, but likely forever, realistically)

I am still puzzled why a car dropping a passenger off at the departures level cannot stay there or circle up to arrivals level to pick up their next fare, but I suppose not having to deal with that dinky shuttle is an improvement if it's the best we're going to get.

Last year I FOIA'd the Port Authority to learn more about this (I still believe this unfairly benefits the TLC, who can continue to approach the arrivals apron at the terminal). In response I got a nearly 100 page deck from Uber essentially begging the Port Authority to reconsider alternatives, and Uber offering to implement countless engineering level alternatives to mitigate the traffic issues. How anyone could finish their deck and still conclude relocating Uber to a distant remote shuttle lot is a fair (and sensible) outcome is totally beyond me. But I was satisfied to know Uber significantly resisted this.

Not even sure why a parking garage was part of this remodel project to begin with, considering NYC has the lowest car ownership in the entire country, but that is a different issue.