FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports
Old May 6, 2018, 6:27 pm
JANZFlyer

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
At least three hours on the ground. HA can take forever to deliver your bags (40 minutes is not unheard of). You then have to get to the very furthest end of the airport to find UA. (It can be a 20-min walk or a 20-minute coach ride.) Add luggage checkin and going through pre-check: Another 1/2 hour?

So, giving yourself three hours on the ground gives you some extra time in case there is an unlikely IRROPS major delay getting from OGG-HNL.
Apologies, I could not see any more detail than this on how long to allow for transfer.
"(3) A Note About Connecting from an International Flight to an Interisland Flight on Hawaiian Airlines

Once clearing customs, passengers may recheck their bags in the bag re-check area."

Arriving into HNL from AKL on AirNZ and want to head onto JHM on Hawaiian Airlines. Giving the lack of JHM flights I was hoping for a 2 hour connection which I seem to manage at other mainland airports (although our bags are usually through checked). It seems the consensus is 3 hours? In which case perhaps I should fly via OGG so at least if I miss it there are more options. Given it is not a single PNR then it would be problematic to miss the flight.

Thanks