FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Westin New York at Times Square, NY, 2007 onward [Master Thread]
Old May 6, 2018, 4:57 pm
christianj

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Just completed a 2 night stay there this weekend and even though I’ve never particularly liked the hotel, this will definitely be my last stay there. As a Platinum we got no visible upgrade other than being one floor above the floor our booked class of room was supposed to be on. We booked a Traditional Corner which goes up to floor 23 and go a Corner room on the 24th floor which they say Is an upgrade. Yes...one floor makes a big difference! Same View and street noise! Room had pealing ceiling paint in the bathroom and the mirror film was also peeling off. Breakfast in the Foundry was a zoo and items on the buffet were not refreshed on a regular basis. If we had paid for the buffet I would have been very upset because at most it’s worth $10-15 and not the $34 they charge for it. They now charge a $25 destination fee and then have the nerve to charge tax of almost $4 on the fee! Valet was extremely slow.

One other thing to note, the double decker tour buses that used to sit near Times Square have been moved to the area just in front of the hotel on 8th. IMHO all the staff constantly asking you to buy a ticket and all the people standing around waiting for the buses cheapens the area even more. I realize NYC is probably making a fortune off the taxes on those tickets but the hard sell of the ticket sellers and the fact that they are everywhere and constantly approaching you got on my nerves. I guess it's just part of the TS area now but I don't think it is doing the area any good from an image perspective.

Last edited by christianj; May 7, 2018 at 6:34 am