FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2018: Success, failure & discussion thread
Old May 6, 2018, 3:54 pm
lexdevil

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Oh, BTW, @lexdevil

if you have enough points, you can make an award booking just to create a reservation number and then file a brg claim. (award booking always has free cancellation policy.)

I used to ask about this once here in this thread and someone had confirmed that with the brg agent.
I have more than enough points, but that is not relevant to my situation. There is no rate lower than the SPG pre-paid rate. This means that if I need a flexible rate, I either have to book the SPG flexible rate or the slightly lower Expedia flexible rate, because there is no BRG available.

In this case, the BRG policy does not give me an incentive to book through the SPG website. I'll get a lower flexible rate from Expedia. And once I realize that in order to get the best flexible rate I will have to give up some of the benefits of my Marriott/SPG status, I might as well consider booking with a rival company. That can't possibly be SPG's intended outcome, can it?