FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2018: Success, failure & discussion thread
Old May 5, 2018, 8:54 pm
lexdevil

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by geminidreams
I get your point you cant BRG against a flexible rate if the competing rate is not lower than the SPG non flexible rate. You can however BRG an SPG flexible rate against a rate lower than the non refundable rate and keep the flexible terms if the BRG is approved. Yet this has been pointed out to you multiple times yet you still talk about not having the flexibility to cancel.
Yes, because there is not a rate lower than the pre-paid rate on the SPG site, so I would have to book the non-refundable $225 rate to get a rate lower than the $275 flexible rate. It would not be a BRG rate, and it would be non-refundable. That is all I am saying. I UNDERSTAND that if I found a rate below the $225 pre-paid rate I could use it for the BRG and the reservation would be flexible. That would be great. It's just not an option in this case.

Originally Posted by geminidreams
Its easy, only look for rates that are cheaper than the SPG lowest rate, Book an SPG flexible rate and BRG against to lower rate you found irrespective of its cancellation policy. If approved it will be with the points or discount but will remain a flexible booking. There is a trick to cancelling online as can be discovered in the WIKI. Margarita Girl has highlighted the exceptions. Dont book a non refundable rate for the BRG as you cant cancel it.
Easier said than done. You think I'm not looking for the lowest possible rate? Of course I am. A rate below $225 would be even better than the $271 flexible rate on Expedia. The pre-paid rate on Expedia is $261 per night. I'm not a complete idiot, even if I am a Marriott person.

You folks are arguing that SPG's BRG is better than Marriott's LNF program because IF i could find a rate lower than SPG's pre-paid rate they would match it(.75) and I could still have this lower rate as a flexible rate. Sure. Great. But this is useless when there is no rate (flexible or pre-paid) lower than the pre-paid rate on SPG.

Last edited by lexdevil; May 5, 2018 at 10:01 pm