FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2018: Success, failure & discussion thread
Old May 5, 2018, 8:29 pm
geminidreams

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by lexdevil
No, I really do get it. Your scenario is not my scenario. To make it concrete/clear:

1. SPG has a flexible public rate of $285, a flexible SPG rate of $275, and a pre-paid non-refundable rate of $225.

2. There is no rate on competing sites below the SPG $225 non-refundable rate, so I have no rate with which to challenge.

3. Expedia has a flexible rate of $271. If SPG's BRG worked like Marriott's LNF program, I could use that $271 rate to challenge the $285 rate (Marriott does not do exclusive member rates or auto club rates in LNF; the rates must be available to all). My $271 rate with Expedia would be matched and decreased by 25%, giving me a final rate of $203.

4. Instead, I don't even have access to the lower rate of $225 because I do not want to book the non-refundable rate with SPG. That means I'm stuck booking at $275, rather than $225. In other words, because I need a flexible rate, I am not guaranteed the best rate.

5. The upshot is that I'll book a $195 room at a Marriott property with better reviews and skip trying the Starwood property I was curious about.
I get your point you cant BRG against a flexible rate if the competing rate is not lower than the SPG non flexible rate. You can however BRG an SPG flexible rate against a rate lower than the non refundable rate and keep the flexible terms if the BRG is approved. Yet this has been pointed out to you multiple times yet you still talk about not having the flexibility to cancel.

Its easy, only look for rates that are cheaper than the SPG lowest rate, Book an SPG flexible rate and BRG against to lower rate you found irrespective of its cancellation policy. If approved it will be with the points or discount but will remain a flexible booking. There is a trick to cancelling online as can be discovered in the WIKI. Margarita Girl has highlighted the exceptions. Dont book a non refundable rate for the BRG as you cant cancel it.