FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What city for 2 days?
View Single Post
Old May 3, 2018, 10:08 pm
slickvik

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Any particular interests that might help us narrow it down?

My favorite place in Germany is Bamberg (just north of Nürnberg). Old town pretty much undamaged by war, pretty scenery, outstanding beer (10 breweries in town, another two dozen by easy public transport). Only place north of the Alps that has a Pope's tomb. Even She Who Must Be Obeyed -- a non beer drinker -- enjoys it. You won't find a Starbucks or McDonalds on every other corner, which I like.

For larger places, I like Düsseldorf and Berlin (headed there in 10 days or so) - but I sometimes find Berlin a bit too hipster for this old fart. I feel I need a man-bun. a beard and a pork-pie hat

I used to enjoy Heidelberg (still have friends there) but the number of tour groups makes it less fun for me (a growing problem with Bamberg as river cruise boats now stop there)
I’m okay with cities that have things to see, I’m kind of one of those checklist kind of guys. My wife doesn’t like museums and likes places with things to do, which to me knocks out Berlin. There are just so many interesting looking places in Germany it’s hard to narrow down.