FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - If you had 3.7 Million IHG point, how would you use them?
Old May 2, 2018, 4:39 am
Atacama40

Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
At the current 70,000 point top redemption amount, that's around 50-ish nights and at the more average 50,000 point properties that's 74 nights.

I could theoretically get up to 740,000 miles (5 points per mile transfer rate) for my preferred airline program and use them on lots of flights; or book flights and hotels for places I've always wanted to go.

Sample Itinerary:

- LHR - SYD - LHR on SQ Suites is 296,000 miles for a round-trip saver per person; so if you travel with some that's 2,960,000 points (1,480,000 points x 2) leaving you 740,000 points for hotels.
- Stay at the IC Sydney for say 5 nights at 60,000 points per night (leaves you with 440,000 points)
- Add in a free stopover in Singapore and stay at the IC Singapore for say 3 nights which is one of the nice properties and with the recent-ish renovation it's not bad at 50,000 points a night (290,000 points to go)
- I would book a small nested trip from SIN to BKK on a reasonable J fare [or cheapo Y, whatever your spend tolerance is] and stay at the IC Bangkok (3 nights for 120,000 points) and IC Koh Samui (3 nights for 150,000) [total of 270,000, leaving 20,000 points]

So that's ... LHR - SYD / 5 nights in IC Sydney / SYD - SIN / nested trip of SIN - BKK / 3 nights in IC Bangkok / BKK to Koh Samui / 3 nights in IC Koh Samui / BKK - SIN / 3 nights in IC Singapore / SIN - LHR

Of course this plan is subject to having the perfect storm of availability, but this is how I would personally spend the points.
Now that's a plan! And exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for. Yeah I'm good at accumulating the points and miles but less creative in the 'how to apply them' department.

Are you saying I can use the IHG points to convert to flights? Interested in knowing more about that if I've understood correctly.

And indeed I have a large bag of Amex points which could indeed be used for flights. Yes this is exactly the sort of battle plan I was hoping to see. Could do a whole lot worse than copying that. But very interested to understand more about the points conversion to flights

Great plan....thanks for sharing that