FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SCMP: 'Faster Security screening soon at HKG'
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:28 pm
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by BD1959
Reviving an old thread ....

Transiting HKG in September and have about 7 hrs. Have a midnight(-ish!) departure - which probably coincides with a lot of departures to EU for early morning arrivals. I'm thinking of spending some time downtown (weather permitting) and am wondering about how much time to allow to get back.

I'll be arriving and departing in J (QF arrival, CX departure):

1. Is Security Screening still as efficient as everyone was talking about here a year ago?
Most of the comments refer to airside to landside, not transit. But yes HKG is very efficient. At times various transit checkpoints can get to be a bottleneck, but in the off chance a line is crazy, just bear in mind all transit checkpoints take you to the same place...departures. There is only one area for departures all connected: upstairs. Arrivals is downstairs. Thus, transit is just going from downstairs to upstairs. You've got a few misconceptions below have a look at the answers.

2. If not, does the Priority Screen lane still exist at T1 (since most were convinced here it wasn't really required)?
Just to clear up some misconceptions
1.) There is only one terminal at HKIA airside. "T2" is just checkin counters and irrelevant to transit pax. Transit = go downstairs (arrivals) to upstairs without clearing immigration. No need to think about terminals.
2.) And priority screening referred to here is for landside to airside pax (aka people originating in HKG). It isn't related to transit pax.
3.) Regardless, there actually never has been priority screening. I have no idea what happened to it but I haven't seen it at HKG like this thread was discussing. Anyway, it is 0% needed for pax originating in HKG. I could argue it would be helpful at transit, when on occasion there are lines. "Very long lines" by Hong Kong standards is 5-10 minutes. If you wait 15 minutes that is a crazy travesty and unheard of. Just to set expectations straight, it's a very convenient airport.
3. If it does exist, is it worthwhile - and what allows access: J BP or "special invitation"?
4. If "special invitation" - how is this obtained without actually checking in (since I will already be checked-in and have BP)?
N/A
Finally, I'll be travelling on both UK and Australian passports ... any particular preference/benefit as to which to use to enter/exit HKSAR?
If you're transiting, you don't enter HK!