FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:24 am
digimon

This is probably a dumb questions... but I would love some feedback from someone familiar with the Ultimate Rewards Program. I just applied for the Chase Freedom Unlimited card to get the annual 3% bonus on all purchases. My initial plan was to just hold the card for a year and then upgrade to the CSR card which costs $450 per year in order to transfer my points to the UR program. However, I am worried now that Chase is going to get rid of the option to transfer points according to rumors.

So my question is, can I get the CSP card at $95 instead of the CSR card for $450 just for the ability to transfer points on a monthly basis to mitigate my risk? I will still upgrade to the CSR card after a year to get access to the 3x points on travel and dining. However, are there downsides to trying the CSP card first? Will by points transfer at a lower rate? Or is the transfer rate the same? If all is the same, then my thought was why not save $355 for the first year since the CFU card basically will do the same as the CSR card for free for the first year.

Any insight would be helpful.

Last edited by digimon; Apr 30, 2018 at 8:30 am