FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017-2019
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:07 pm
flyguy6

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Originally Posted by baroqen
Applied last week for the Ink Cash. Got the 30 day, called the automated line two days later and it was approved.

First name, last name. Sole prop. I'm well under 5/24 at the moment.

Flyguy - It takes some time, effort, and money to register a fictitious name. Not a substantial amount, but it might not be worth it for you depending on what you're actually doing for your side hustle and what your long term goal is for the business. If it's just a side hustle and not an eventual "real" business, then I wouldn't bother. You're technically required to report income for it if you actually earned income, although I don't think there's a tremendous amount of enforcement in this area when you're talking about small amounts of money. That said, you're still leaving yourself open to an unreasonable risk, especially if you're only trying to avoid a small amount of tax. Bearing in mind that you can also report a loss (negative income) for the business as well if that applies as well as gaining certain deductions so in some cases you might actually pay LESS tax. In fact, in some cases such as rental property, you are essentially required to depreciate the asset. When it comes to your taxes when you sell the property, the government will treat it as if you have depreciated it regardless of whether you actually did or not.
What did you put for business income and years of operation? Did you get asked for any business documentation or business verification? I just got the official letter from Chase today. They are asking for documents with the following info: name of your company, federal tax identification number and proof of current business physical address.

Good explanation. Big thanks!