FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How do you sleep on planes?
View Single Post
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:54 am
StuckInYYZ

Originally Posted by AdamPD
I've never been able to sleep on a plane, I've flown to the US about 4 times now and everytime I just can't doze off.

It's mainly because I have sensitive hearing I think, the background noise of the planes air con (An old British airways 777 way beyond it's time!) that keeps me awake.

I bought a pair of noise cancelling headphones, but they only stay on when something is being played through them, so I might try finding a long background noise track to see if it helps me fall asleep.
I'm assuming you have a bluetooth headset. My Bose QC25 doesn't do this (I have heard that the Sonys do this... not sure about the QC35)

There are a few suggestions in the technology forum to resolve this issue. One that I found worked was to record 1 second long of silence and put it on my phone. Play only that (in a cycled of repeat). The only downside is that you will run down battery on the headset as well as the phone.... but if you have an external battery pack, you should be good.

Personally, I have a recording of the airplane engine sound and I use that occasionally (yes, I know it's ironic.... but airplane engine noise doesn't bother me.... the sudden jolt of a baby crying can...with my headset, at least I'm just getting the airplane noise).