FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:22 am
HerbGlobal

Programs: United, Starwood
Lack of Upgrades on United (for 1k; including RPUs)

Fellow Travelers:

I wanted to share with you my recent experience as a 1K flyer with United. In terms of some history and context . . . I have been a frequent flyer with a number of airlines over the years and typically vary in terms of elite status from silver up to top tier (i.e. 1k). I remember in years past that I was often upgraded even as an elite Gold traveler. In fact, one year as a United Silver, I was even upgraded a couple of times (much to me surprise and satisfaction).

Oh how times have changed. In recent years there has been much discussion that the few available upgraded seats were sold for TODs (tens of dollars) to the highest bidder as compared to retaining ANY seats to award the most loyal travelers. It seems that almost ALL seats are now being sold for TODs as my experience as a 1K (often on Class M tickets) indicates that upgrades are becoming fewer and further between . . . including on both main routes between hubs as well as smaller feeder routes. In fact, I can not even get upgraded as a 1K using RPUs these days. If you will note me email to United's 1k voice desk, I received no sympathy from United!

Perhaps, I am whining about "first world problems" and putting too much expectation into a system that is effectively granting "awards" as compared to something we "deserve". That said, LOYALTY is a two way street. If we are acknowledging that upgrades are largely in the past (and we instead get a free snack box in economy class as a 1K!), we must also temper our approach to loyalty and really determine if the stress and <often> inconvenience of always using one carrier is worth the minimal "elite perks" which we are now being granted . . .

I would certainly appreciate perspectives of my fellow flyers . . . perhaps, I am envisioning the Flyer<->Carrier relationship differently then you . . .

Cheers,

Herb
------------------------
To: [email protected]
Subject: Extend RPUs
Date: April 26, 2018 3:18:13 PM CDT
1k Voice Desk:

Greetings! My name is Herb xxxx and I am a multi-year 1k member. I have had very bad luck on upgrades lately. Aside from the fact that I (as a 1k) have not had a CPU in months, I can't even seem to get upgraded when I use RPUs. In fact, I have tried to use five RPUs over the last few weeks and I have a ZERO percent success rate.

One of my RPUs for a flight tomorrow will similarly be unused due tothe current flight status. The issue is the RPU will expire on April 30th. As I have been unable to utilize RPUs . . . not for lack of trying, can I get an extension on this RPU so it does not expire next week? I appreciate the assistance.

Regards,

Herb xxx
United 1K # JXXXXX

Response from United 1k Voice Desk:
Thanks for participating in the MileagePlus program!

Global Premier and Regional Premier Upgrades are valid through the end of the following Premier program year and travel must be completed by the expiration date.
I’m sorry, but we’re unable to extend these upgrades past their expiration.
Thank you for flying United®.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 27, 2018 at 10:43 am Reason: merged into existing thread