FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Marriott Credit Card Offers ARCHIVED (2016-2019)
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:12 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tobytobsen
Hello - I have a question about the Marriott cards. I currently have the regular Marriott Visa, have had it since over 3 years. I only have a few cards so 5/24 should not be an issue. I would like to see how i can make as many points quickly as possible - Can i cancel my current card and apply for the same one again and get 120k points? Is there a waiting time i should do?

I also want to apply for the business card, when should I do that? And how about the new Visa card that will come out in a few days?

Any strategy to maximize points would be appreciated! Thanks, Toby
First, what 120k points for what card??? The current offer for the existing Marriott personal Visa is 75k points after $3k spend in 3 months. The anticipated offer for the new Marriott Premier Plus Visa is 100k points after $5k spending in 3 months. So I don't see where the 120k points number comes from.

IMHO, you should apply for the business Marriott card from Chase first, since it won't add to your 5/24 count. And you should apply for it as soon as you can, since we don't when it's going to go away. (Officially, Chase doesn't have rights to "market" a business card in the new merged program, only Amex does.)

Meanwhile, do you understand how 5/24 is calculated? It has nothing to do with how many cards you "have"; it has everything to do with how many cards you've opened during the past 24 months (even if they're now closed). Now, maybe you're OK there too, but I want to make sure you're not mistaken about your 5/24 status because of possibly not understanding how it's computed. (Chase computes it by counting the bank cards, open or closed, on your credit report that show an "opened on" date in the past 24ish months.)