FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:42 pm
sdflyer04

This has been an excellent thread and has helped me consider additional options. I am now seriously considering the BofA Premier Visa with 2.62% cash back on non-bonus and 3.5% back on restaurants/travel. It will require me to move some money to BofA/Merrill. But, the cash back at those levels is very tough to beat. Plus, the Global entry credit and airline incidentals credit makes up for the annual fee (and I read that retention offers also make up for the annual fee).

I will still probably get the new Marriott card for the 100K bonus and for Marriott spend and maybe cell phone spend. But, if Marriott points are worth .7 to.9. cents Your return on non-bonus spending is only 2 X .7 to .9 or 1.4 to 1.8 cents. Not even 2%.

What keeps me still thinking about all of this are the Marriott travel packages. I am using two travel packages this year to travel to Hawaii. I will be staying in a category 8 hotel. That travel package costs 360K points. For that I get 120K frequent flyer miles (mine were Alaska which I've seen valued at 2.1 cents for a value of $2520, but my savings were more like $1800). The category 8 hotel would cost $2240 for the first trip. So, my actual value is $4040. That doesn't beat the $4716 I would earn in cash from the BofA Visa for spending $180,000.00 on non-bonus spending. However, for my second trip to Hawaii which will be over new years, I have a hotel reserved that is currently going for over $1K per night. So, my points value is off the charts for that trip and easily outweighs the BofA Visa.

As a result, I think I will get both cards for now. But, I think my non-bonused spend will go to the BofA card.

Thanks to the posters who brought that card to my attention.