FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA vs another airline for SFO-HKG monthly roundtrips?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:16 am
sinoflyer

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
Honestly, I like Polaris over Cathay's J, plus cooler cabin and better bedding is nice, but the more flexible timing on the Cathay flights options and WAY better lounges on the HKG side may swing it that way for you. I have OWE and *G so I am covered either way, but imho UA is not that bad in J.
I share your thoughts almost exactly to a tee. CX's J seat has not aged well. CX will introduce revamped J service this summer, but there won't be a new J seat for at least three or four more years. That said, I prefer CX's evening departures from both ends of the Pacific -- exactly the opposite of UA's schedule. CX's HKG lounges, particularly The Pier first class lounge, are far superior (presumably) to the new SFO Polaris lounge.

Assuming everything else being equal, I would go with CX and bank the miles on Aadvantage. Elite status from CX flying is wholly mileage based, with EQD determined by multiplying the SFO-HKG distance (6,927 miles) by 25% (based on J, so, $1,731 each way). After you reach EXP, you will be able to use OW first class lounge even when flying business class or economy.

UA does offer SFO-BOS nonstop, which may be important to OP. If connecting flights are not an issue, AA does offer a better J hard/soft seat/lounge product on the LAX-HKG run with a similar late-night departure. That might be something to consider as well.

Caveat: I too am *G by virtue of 1MM, so I no longer fly UA/*A to accumulate status, yet am able to still enjoy *G benefits when I do fly UA/*A.

Last edited by sinoflyer; Apr 26, 2018 at 12:22 am