FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seating Queries: First
View Single Post
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:14 pm
Oaxaca

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by th14
Apologies if this has been asked but my search terms are too short to get decent results in this 84 page long thread.

Flying solo JFK-LHR in a few months on the 777. Only seats available are Row 4 in the back or any of the middle seats.

Overnight flight so I'll likely watch a movie and then be sleeping for a few hours. I currently have 4A but am wondering if I should just go with one of the middle seats to avoid the galley. So single seat privacy with potential noise vs middle seat (less privacy) though possibly quieter.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Also, have a separate trip later in the year where family is flying back into Newark. Am I correct that the 777 going into Newark is basically identical to the JFK service?
I guess it depends on how bothered you are by possible galley noise/light. There is a curtain behind 4A, but of course crew will be passing in and out (pax less so, since the loos are at the front of the cabin). I was in 4A on a 772 a few days ago on an overnight flight and it was fine for me. I went straight to sleep as soon as the seatbelt sign went off. Although the middle seats on the 777s are better than 744, personally I would still prefer a window in F if travelling solo. On JFK-LHR, if you're watching a movie you'd probably only be looking at 2-3 hours sleep.

Been a while since I flew a 777 to EWR but the aircraft would come from the same LHR fleet. Of course, BA has various F configurations on the 772 (12F, 14F, 17F), so you can't be certain what you'll get. Quite a few equipment changes these days, both my flights on 777s in the last week have had an equipment change in the last 48 hours before the flight.