FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:30 pm
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tryathlete
will I improve my chances (move up on the waitlist rank) if I fareup inside the 24 hour window?

Originally Posted by fumje
There's no universal rule. The second tiebreaker for upgrade waitlist is fare, after status. If you have 1K status it might be worthwhile if the flight load is tight but not too tight (intentionally vague). If there aren't many seats left or there are many seats left, it could be a waste of money.

edit: actually to respond literally to your question, yes.
Originally Posted by findark
Honestly, I don't know. If the ticket is reissued, it will probably drop the upgrade request entirely, and if it isn't I'm skeptical it will update the code on the PNR. I definitely wouldn't risk it without solid confirmation.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Strictly speaking, GG BUYUP only waives the change fee if changing a cabin. However, there have been numerous reports of people being successful up- faring to GPU eligible fare. Whether you would get a change fee waiver this situation is a potential issue.

And as mentioned, up-faring may drop the waitlist and then the agent would have to potentially waive another rule on applying an upgrade inside of T-24.
Ah I misunderstood the question (thought "24 hours" was referring to the post-reservation window).

Agree that it is a strange corner case and probably not wise to attempt. I would give very high odds to the upgrade request being dropped, as setting change fee questions aside, the normal buyup procedure results in reissue.