FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:37 pm
TravelinSperry

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It's not really that clear a devaluation. It's impossible to make an authoritative statement about the entire portfolio from a sample by definition, but more hotels have gone down in points than up, and even counting the few properties which went up by a lot (most went down by a bit), it's a net devaluation of 3%, which given the sample size is within the margin of error.
Don't disagree re the award chart. And I don't expect a sig devaluation via it anyway... 5% for example. What has been announced however is the 33% earnings deval. That brings the earnings to under 2% (which makes it worse than 2% cb cards and now ties it with most other cards at ~1.8%). It used to be the hands down winner. Now, it's not. So now we are free to spend elsewhere. CSR and a variety of other cards suddenly make too much sense (especially when combined with their enrollment promos).

That said, I will keep the card... it's just no longer going to see all my everyday spend.