FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:29 am
Troopers

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Wonderful--you and I now can agree that there is no massive devaluation.

Apparently, I misconstrued your charge of 40% devaluation as massive. You must have meant minimal?

You don't want to pay 100K points/night for a hotel that currently costs 70K points per night. Wonderful--don't pay it! Problem solved. You're most welcome to stay at those same properties off peak when they still are 70K points/night or find other options. Freedom of choice is alive and well.

You're unhappy about devaluations. No one likes devaluations. Yet the rest of us accept that they are a simple fact of life with loyalty programs. If you don't want devaluations, perhaps you might avoid all loyalty programs to save yourself the displeasure?

In the case of this loyalty program, while you complain only about some or most of the current Tier 5 Ritz Carlton properties (we still don't know) going from the current 70,000 points to either 70K-85K-100K points, I also consider that the some or most of the current Category 7 SPG properties (we still don't know) are going from the current 90K-105K points to 70K-85K-100K--a pretty obvious discount and revaluation. actually.

Since there are far more current SPG Category 7 properties than there are current Tier 5 RC properties, there is more to be pleased about than to complain about IMO. The fact that some or most of the SPG Category 7 properties are better than some or more of the Tier 5 RC properties is just icing on the cake.

Certainly, there is at least just as much if not more to be pleased about with the new Category 8 options as there is to complain about. You are only looking at the negatives without any consideration of the positives.

In the scheme of loyalty programs, the fact that so many extraordinary SPG Category 7 properties, many to most of which are superior even to the Tier 5 RC properties, are going DOWN in redemption value is extraordinary. Extraordinarily positive.
I think the SPG congregation can use your sermon. Maybe preach over there too? Take a look over at the Starwood forum.

ETA: I'm with you though, program changes are what they are...changes, devaluation, etc will continue to occur.

Last edited by Troopers; Apr 24, 2018 at 9:37 am