FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:46 am
smgainey

Originally Posted by bhrubin
You and others continue to talk about a massive devaluation that hasn’t happened. You’re entitled to scream bloody murder about a devaluation that hasn’t happened yet as much as I am entitled to refer to those screams as silly.
Once again you are putting words into my mouth. I have never talked about a "massive devaluation". Perhaps someone else has, but I have not. I said that I don't want to pay up to 100k points per night for a hotel that currently costs 70k points per night. My displeasure is not specific to the merger because I am always unhappy about devaluations. I would greatly appreciate it if you would stop attributing words to me that I did not say. Thank you.

For the new peak redemptions for Category 8, it is true that redemptions will go for 100,000 points, but you can’t call that a 40% devaluation for the entire program when those same Category 8 awards also go off-peak about as often for the same 70,000 points as before!
I never said that it was a 40% devaluation for the entire program. I said that the specific scenario I mentioned (going for 70k to 100k) was a 40% devaluation. And I don't want then to ever cost more than 70k points per night.

Your cries of devaluation are overstated. They consider only the properties where it costs more and ignores all the more examples where it has to cost less.
I have sited a very specific scenario, which is completely true and accurate. I have not mentioned the other tiers or categories because I like to use my points at Tier 5 Ritz Carlton hotels that cost 70k points per night.

Last edited by smgainey; Apr 24, 2018 at 9:00 am Reason: Clarification