FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS to Introduce "Saver Fares" (Basic Economy), End Fee Waivers and Add Fees
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:41 pm
BenA

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bretmd
I also read on OMAAT that Alaska will start selling exit row seats. Presumably continuing to make them free to elites but selling to non-elites? If true, this would make MVP less valuable to me; since exit row availability would likely decrease. As a tall person,sitting in an exit row makes a big difference to me.
17CD are the only reason i still fly Alaska. I’ve never received a single upgrade to Premium Class since it was introduced - as a mere MVPG I’m not eligible at time of booking, and all the good seats are always gone by the time the upgrade window opens. I’d rather sit in an exit row than get stuck in an aisle or middle, so I usually decline the “premium” upgrade waitlist and choose an exit row seat instead. And with the F cabin reductions, I rarely stand a chance of an upgrade there either unless I can spend a certificate.

If these seats stop becoming readily available for elites, the last benefit I really care about from MVPG is gone. Day of departure sales would be fine; time of booking would not.

(Alaska has also been winning some of my domestic business vs. Delta by not having basic economy fares, but it sounds like that’s about to end, too.)