FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Woman is fined $500 by customs officials for carrying an APPLE
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:33 am
manneca

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Ever since I got GE, when I repack for the return, I make sure I have no snacks in any of my bags. I'm gone for several weeks and I'll buy snacks along the way and they can easily be forgotten. I pay particular attention to my back pack. If I'm taking food to be consumed on the plane, it all goes in one plastic/paper bag in the backpack which gets removed when I arrive at my seat on the plane. I declare all chocolate returning home, even though I know that at SFO it means a trip to Ag. (A FA told me I didn't have to declare chocolate and I ignored her. Usually I get if it's only chocolate it doesn't matter, but not at SFO). I'm not about to lose GE over bringing a 50¢ piece of fruit into the country or the remnants of a bag of almonds I bought at TJs before I left home. I also nag my traveling companion to make sure he doesn't have food. It is so easy to forget a food item in your backpack particularly when you're at the end of a 30 hour slog back home.

I don't have any sympathy for this woman. She knows the rules. (And I hate those stupid beagles.)