FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Shell Fuel Rewards Network: MS'ing for free gas
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:53 am
devastitis

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Excuse me for having a senior moment, but I am not following the OP's process. From what I can tell, I would need to do the following:

1. sign up for Shell Rewards
2. link a Mastercard (I assume this is a compulsory step?)
3. use the Mastercard to buy gift cards at certain supermarkets (most of which no longer sell gift cards when using credit cards)
4. use the rebate from that activity for a fuel cost credit against one single fill-up

* once the supermarket promo ends, which I am assuming could happen at any time, this whole process would unravel unless there is another usable promo somewhere?

Since many of us fill up weekly, this seems like a lot of work, although I assume I could get a smaller credit, ie $1/gal, with less activity or spreading my credits across multiple fill ups?
I don’t believe you can choose how much you spend in credits per fill up. It’s $.15 per gallon off per $100 spent at participating grocery store. If you spend $1k, you get $1.50 off per gallon on one fill up. So if gas is $3 a gallon, you pay for $1.50 per gallon. If you spend $2k, you get $3 off per gallon so using the previous example, your fill up would be nearly free (minimum is $.019 per gallon). If you spend $4k, you can fill up two tanks for nearly free, and so on. It depends on how much you need to fill up, ie I’m supporting 8 cars, so I need to do quite a bit to keep them all nearly free each week.