FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:11 pm
beckoa
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by cblaisd
First time I have ever gotten an email telling me a flight tomorrow may be oversold and asking to "click here" if I would volunteer to take a different flight for "at least" a $250 travel credit.

Questions:

a) Is this potential VDB list ordered like United's (e.g., the higher the higher the status the higher on the bump list?) Or is it whoever rushes the podium the fastest when the announcement that VDB's are indeed needed is made?
b) Do gate agents have the power to move you to a different arriving-city flight (e.g., from OAK to SFO)?
c) That "at least" language is intriguing: does that mean that the bidding starts at $250?
a) Whomever rushes first.
b) AFAIK yes.
c) No bidding, it depends on route.

Originally Posted by Finkface
I got one of these about a month ago, although mine was worded slightly different. I had to call in order to take the bump. I called in right away and took the voucher. They booked me on the flight of my choice the following day and gave me a hotel as well. My flight was just a PDX-SEA hop so I was quite happy to take the $300. And it was a voucher that went into my wallet; it wasn’t a discount code. And yes, the agents have the power to reroute, although I don’t know what the rules are. I went from PDX-SEA-YVR to a direct PDX-YVR (and got ORC as well). My email said:

We're looking for volunteers to take an alternate flight in exchange for a $300 discount on future travel.
If you are interested in this offer, please contact us at 1-800-252-7522. You will be rebooked on the next available flight to your destination, at no additional charge.
I got one of these before... was exciting. Was SEA-ANC. Was rebooked SEA-FAI-ANC, and got another bump. Probably could have had a third, but opted to overnight in SEA and fly out the next day.