FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Woman is fined $500 by customs officials for carrying an APPLE
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:27 pm
ATOBTTR
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by davie355
My thoughts.

1. In strict terms, only two parties to this encounter are in violation of anything.
--- Passenger: failure to declare
--- Officer: failure to adhere to courtesy and professionalism which CBP nominally requires of its officers
------ What's wrong with saying, "Ma'am, there's an apple in your bag, but your declaration says you are carrying no fruit. Unfortunately that requires me to fine you $500."

2. In practical terms, it's foolish of an airline to hand out contraband on arrival. Even if declared, the apple will need be thrown away.

3. Also in practical terms, it's foolish of a government to enforce customs at passenger points of entry.
--- Customs is meant to protect trade and agriculture. Shiploads of parasitic apples from a commercial importer has a low but meaningful chance of harming US agriculture. An apple in your bag is as likely to harm US agriculture as I am to marry Taylor Swift.
Additionally, we only have her side of the story. For all we know she was incredibly snarky and disrespectful to the CBP agent and then the CBP agent imposed the fine in response to her being argumentative and disrespectful.