FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Woman is fined $500 by customs officials for carrying an APPLE
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:13 pm
pbarnette
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Yep, and also IME most customs folks are pretty easy going if you're honest and forthcoming. When I was coming back from South Africa a couple of years ago I was over my duty free alcohol allowance, which is not hard coming back from there with wine. I straight up told the CBP officer at Abu Dhabi (stupid preclearance), he asked me by how much I was over. It wasn't a lot, a couple bottles, but over the limit is over the limit. He said thanks for declaring it and it was fine, have a nice flight.

My favorite reaction though was going into Australia a couple years ago. I was again over the alcohol importation limit since I was bringing some stuff to a family friend that they couldn't easily get down there and when I asked the Aussie Border Force guy at the baggage carosel about it he said "worse case scenario they make you chug it before you enter the country!"
I almost always exceed the duty free allowance on alcohol. I always declare it. I've never been charged duty. The closest I came to having to pay was bringing 2 cases of wine back from Oz, but the agent gave up calculating the duty halfway through and sent me on my way.