FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Woman is fined $500 by customs officials for carrying an APPLE
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:07 pm
krazykanuck
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Moral of the story: when in doubt, just declare it.
Yep, and also IME most customs folks are pretty easy going if you're honest and forthcoming. When I was coming back from South Africa a couple of years ago I was over my duty free alcohol allowance, which is not hard coming back from there with wine. I straight up told the CBP officer at Abu Dhabi (stupid preclearance), he asked me by how much I was over. It wasn't a lot, a couple bottles, but over the limit is over the limit. He said thanks for declaring it and it was fine, have a nice flight.

My favorite reaction though was going into Australia a couple years ago. I was again over the alcohol importation limit since I was bringing some stuff to a family friend that they couldn't easily get down there and when I asked the Aussie Border Force guy at the baggage carosel about it he said "worse case scenario they make you chug it before you enter the country!"

Originally Posted by gooselee
+1. I think they're even labeled "Amnesty Bins" and there are specific reminders that even items provided on your flight must be discarded.

And IIRC, there are disposal bins in the customs areas in US airports, too. Though admittedly the announcements are far less aggressive as NZ/Australia.
I think Canada has them as well, at least my home airport did. I just try not to carry food in. I did have a flight once where I had stashed a couple bananas in my bag from the lounge and forgot about them until we were on descent. I gobbled those thing up on the plane.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Apr 22, 2018 at 4:15 pm