FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase UR points value vs Amex MR?
View Single Post
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:59 pm
jungly

To Summarize:
Most of us keep the following cards in our wallet: Chase Reserve + Amex Platinum as our keeper. Disposable cards throughout the year tend to be "Chase Marriot, Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Amex SPG, Barclay Aviator etc" - you transfer all your UR points to your reserve card and close the others (that have a yearly fee), as for SPG, marriot, and others you have to use their freebee perks that year or carry forward and pay the annual fee.

All year round I stay with Hilton Hotels (Diamond status via CC), Avis (transfer to AA, not car points, Avis sucks for loyalty will be ditching them next year), and AA ( may be close to Executive Platinum).

So what's the end game? Since AA has no partner with Amex nor UR points, I'm out of luck. But I just want to take the family to a vacation overseas, so my allegiance to AA is null if my purpose is to get the best bang for the buck via credit card points.

Finally what I've learnt here:
UR Points: For Hyatt hotel
UR points: Delta (never flown with them, but then again there's no AA with chase so I'm stuck with Delta to get overseas)
Amex Plat: Again no AA. Anyone know which airline Amex gives highest transfer partner to overseas?

Moral of the story: Looks like I'll stick with UR due to peace of mind, even though Amex MR have higher rates per cent. Reason being: when the time comes to book flights more people like TPG are biased to Chase so its easier to research deals. For example: I learnt in this thread to book with Hyatt and Delta using if I ever decide to redeem my UR points. As for Amex Plat - that's still up in the air on what to do with all those points.

Question: Since AA is being stingent on acquiring partnerships with Chase/Amex - would you recommend I change to Delta next year and demand elite status match? If that were to happen, then yes I'd be biased to Delta and only accumulate Chase UR points because I could get free delta upgrade seats. Assuming Delta has the same policy of AA, where all Exec Plat AA members get complimentary upgrades on any flight including overseas.

Last edited by jungly; Apr 22, 2018 at 3:04 pm