FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:20 am
TravelinSperry

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by ESpen36
With so many talking about defecting to Hilton and/or switching non-bonus spend to the CSR, I'm wondering if AMEX would consider renegotiating with Marriott between now and Aug 1?

I think all it would take would be for the new SPG Amex luxury card to earn 3 points per dollar (equivalent to the old SPG Amex cards) for non-bonus, non-category spend.
This assumes no significant devaluation when the new award levels come out. Also - while I'm one of the people who will change spend patterns starting Aug 1 (I recently applied for and was accepted to Hilton Aspire, which will be my new every spend), I have no intention of cancelling my Amex SPG as I'll still get a free night. So Amex won't be seeing lots of cancellations, they'll likely just see lowered spend activity, which will take time to notice. So perhaps a renegotiation or bonus promo for spend will appear at some later time (2019 for example). Further, my spend is staying with Amex, just shifting from SPG to Hilton. So I'd imagine Amex at a corp level doesn't care all that much (sig defections to CSR would matter more to them).

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Speaking of the CSR, how secure/long-term are the Chase UR arrangements with airline/hotel transfer partners? If a bunch of us switch to the CSR, and then Chase discontinues the ability to transfer to Marriott a short time after Aug 1, we've made a bad gamble...
Agreed although if it is your intention to get CSR solely for Marriott redemptions then you are not optimizing the value of this card. Hyatt would be a much better transfer partner for CSR (as it's value is sig higher post Aug 1). Or airlines for biz/first.