FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:07 pm
mjb59463

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Ritz Carlton Rewards,
Originally Posted by bgriff
If earning SkyMiles is a priority for you, look at the Amex Membership Rewards family of cards. Amex Platinum, Preferred Rewards Gold, Everyday and Everyday Preferred. Depending on your spending amounts and categories, the exact combination of right cards could vary, but you can definitely earn more Membership Rewards points (which are 1:1 transferrable to SkyMiles) than is generally possible with a SkyMiles credit card. (Only reason to use the SkyMiles card is if you need the MQM boosts and/or MQD waiver.)

If you still want to have some points toward hotels, you could consider using one or more Membership Rewards cards for bonus categories and one of the SPG/Marriott cards for non-bonus categories.
Thanks for the response!

I'll have to dig into what MR card would be best for me.

Restaurants/Gas/random non-cat things make up the majority of my spend, so I'm not sure what the best play is. Not sure what card or combo would hit this and obtain the rewards I want.

Last edited by mjb59463; Apr 21, 2018 at 5:12 pm