FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase UR points value vs Amex MR?
View Single Post
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:39 pm
jiaogulan

Originally Posted by Super Mario
The best way to get a "valuation" is to figure out how you would use them. Are you going to transfer to Delta? Hyatt? None of the above? Don't let the internet tell you what they are worth, by basing their number off of a few transfer partners and redemptions that you will never use. In my scenario, I don't care if I can get business first class for 5 cents a point. I consider my points to be like my money. I wouldn't buy that flight because of a "valuation" unless it was a crazy deal.

I believe on average, the two cards are a lot closer than we think. Add in the insurance for the CSR, and that's another important factor. I couldn't imagine booking premium flight options without insuring them.
That's a good point that I do not think is shared enough.

Personally, I DO enjoy traveling in business class (for long-haul) and I transfer my UR and MR points for premium redemptions. That said, I totally understand if someone doesn't care to spend the extra points/cash on premium, or maybe they only travel on short-haul flights where I think it makes way less sense to fly premium unless you have so many points/money it doesn't matter (but I doubt we'd be all over this message board if we were in that category) or the deal is costing barely more than economy.

Last edited by jiaogulan; Apr 21, 2018 at 12:48 pm Reason: typo