FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you mind switching seats with me...
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:36 am
CarolynUK

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Another example of the cheek of some people....

a couple of years ago I booked my daughter a one way ticket in WTP, and the bucket allowed seat choice on booking so I'd got her a nice window seat. I ad gone to pick her up and had scored a great Club fare so I was on the upper deck, and being 16, she wanted to be all grown up and board by herself when called. Anyway, she got on board and found an elderly lady in her seat, and the seat mate (the poachers daughter) Told my daughter she could just take her mother's seat which was a middle middle in the back half of Y.

being my daughter, she was well aware that this was a cheek, so daughter called the cabin crew over to evict the poacher.

cue the bullshine about why the old lady HAD to have the seat, a tale about how my daughter had grabbed the seat whilst the seatmate was going through seat selection (not true as daughter had been in that seat for over 6 weeks), and if that was the case, why was the poacher in a different cabin?), and that mother couldn't sit alone, needed a window etc etc.

my daughter stood her ground and helpfully suggested that they ask the seatmmate in the the middle middle at the back to change which of course had the usual result - no way was the poachers daughter downgrading hers,of . Poacher moved back to her own seat very grudgingly with many mutters about youngsters having no respect for others, whilst the grumpy seatmate gave my daughter the stink eye and wouldn't let her out for the loo etc all through what was a thoroughly unpleasant trip.

daughter thankfully was so shattered after a 6 week wilderness camp that she slept through most of the trip, and she told me the cabin crew kept an eye on her to ensure she was OK.