FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:37 pm
jrothenb

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by X-ON
No the suggestion was to treat LT Nights from SPG and MR separate but map into combined tiers employing only these nights as a criteria., my apologizes if I was unclear.
LT SPG nights 750+ => LTPP MPG
LT MR nights 750+ => LTPP MPG
500=<LT SPG nights <750 =>LTP MPG
500=<LT MR nights <750 =>LTP MPG
250=<LT SPG nights <500 =>LTG MPG
250=<LT MR nights <500 =>LTG MPG
The objective was to create a function that maps the current members of SPG and MR into a new LT program tier without anybody feeling unfairly treated .
It would answer the question: "What will my past loyalty in program X equate to in terms of LT tier in program Z " this without any member perceiving themselve as unfairly treated.
As we can see there is no mentioning of grandfathering MR PLT into LTPP, its implied, i.e a subset of the MR members being mapped into LTPP MPG contains the set of all LT PLT MR
And no I am not oblivious to the fact that this will mint more LT tiers, the gain would be that nobody would feel unfairly treated .

Before anybody says "LTPP/LTP flooding the lounges" ....this will depend on excess minting of LTPP/LTP? The answer to that will probably remain with MAR ...

...in any case I feel that some procedure that standardize the variables measuring past loyalty at SPG and MR is needed currently that is not the case, hence the sense of unfair treatment ...
I would argue that it's only fair that activity between SPG and MR be combined to determine thresholds. Consider that Marriott actively told everyone that status would be cross-recognized between programs, so for the past couple of years, we've had SPG folks staying at Marriotts, and vice-versa, knowing that eventually everything would be combined. That activity must be combined in order to fairly recognize that basic premise that was promised at the initial announcement of the merger. Namely, that it makes no difference whether one remains loyal to the SPG side or the MR side, because it was all "Marriott."