FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:08 pm
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by headingwest
I'm not sure about the timescale for getting into the city on public transport.
Decanting yourself from First to public transport is always going to be fun.

Don't worry, I'm geeky about public transport and I'll happily use it where it's not desperately inconvenient. Currently decided against the 102 from Batu Ferringhi to Penang airport: it just takes too long and Georgetown traffic can cause insane delays: so it'll be Grab at a £6 premium over Rapid Penang.

With time at a premium bus travel doesn't stack up for a few hours' visit to the city.

The buses are lovely, but they run to a schedule and on routes that are not always the most direct. They certainly won't drop you off at the door to the museum. all that adds up to quite a potential time penalty, and a degree of sweatiness.

You'd need a travel card, which ran at QAR20 for the unlimited 24H one, or you can get a two-ticket version from the driver for QAR10. Not a king's ransom, but unless things have changed (and they were going to) you can't use a credit card at the airport to get the Karwa card. So that means getting cash from ATMs or Forex desks.

On the other hand Uber is easily available, fast and cheap. So are taxis, but while Uber puts the charge on your registered credit card, taxis want cash.