FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:01 am
christianj

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by bgriff
I think the Amex Luxury Card earns the same amount of points per dollar spent as the new Chase card right? Both are 6x. (The current Chase card is 5x but the new one is 6x.)

Up to you but I'm not convinced of the value proposition for the Luxury card personally. It earns more than the Chase card on airfare and restaurant spend, but the Chase Sapphire Reserve beats it there already (3 UR points is worth at least as much as 3 Marriott points, by definition). On other spend categories it earns the same as the Chase. And the new Chase card will earn 15 nights' elite credit per year, so it would only take 10 more nights to qualify for Gold anyway.

The Luxury card does also get you the free night up to 50K points, so that plus the $300 credit may cover the fee on net, but not clear there's a lot more upside value to the card beyond that, unless someone were going to target the Platinum for $75K spend option.
Just to be clear...the 6 points you reference is just for SPG/MR hotel spend.
Restaurants and flights will be at 3 so that is the same as if you used your CSR card. The big question is IF you value 1 Chase UR point = 1 MR point. I would think most people do NOT.