FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luxury Hotels USP by Brand
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:51 am
TheBrownPrince

Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far. What is the deal with the Dorchester and prostitutes by the way?

Anyway, I think I ought to add my own impressions in order to be fair. I'll only include brands that I have personal experience with.

Aman-- In the past was the very definition of personalization and residential luxury. Best exemplified what it meant to have "a hotel run according to my needs." This would even cut across properties where preferences casually indicated in one would be noted and noticed for your future stays wherever. I suspect these attributes have been watered-down as they've gone more mainstream.

Belmond--Grand luxury hotels that have a lot of history. They often evoke the real or imagined period when travel was only for the glamorous. Hotels will typically have a long list of famous guests and equally "legendary" anecdotes. Actual experience is often standard luxe efficiency coupled with some very good cuisine. Caveat that the fame of the properties draws tourists as well as "once-in-a-lifetime trippers" whose ideas of luxe tend to come from what's presented in the media.

Como--Well-run resorts and hotels that get all the basics right but tend to be a one step and price point down from the leading properties in each location.

Four Seasons--Always the best or second best option wherever found. Very high standards for both hardware and software. Cuisine is another strong point. Hard to fault apart from predictability (especially when it comes to city hotels). Never feels residential though which could be off-putting to some.

Intercontinental--Upscale but not true luxury. Consistent reliable product but never seems to exceed expectations.

Jumeirah--Standard luxury hotels that cater mainly to the Middle Eastern travelers.

Luxury Collection--Grand dame hotels that have been upgraded to meet today's luxury hardware but upscale software standards.

Mandarin Oriental--Calls itself the best wherever it is. Always in fact the second best option for whatever reason (could be location, design, dining options, etc.).

Oberoi--New hotels that compete directly in style and feel with the period authentic palaces of Taj to great success. Often delivers a better soft experience than Taj and is more consistent across geographies.

One&Only--Glamorous resorts where people like to dress up.

Park Hyatt--As good as the Mandarin Oriental without claiming to be the best. Can also provide very good value because of the loyalty program.

Peninsula--Best or second in each location (as with the Four Seasons). Takes pride in technology and PenCities/PenAcademy that creates one-of-a-kind in-house arranged experiences for the guests. Often has a great sense of local character but is limited by its small portfolio.

Raffles--Singapore is special, the definitive grand dame experience. The rest are indistinguishable from Luxury Collection or even Intercontinentals.

Ritz-Carlton--Third best option in terms of service after FS and Mandarin perhaps. Portfolio seems rather boring.

Rocco Forte--Design-oriented reliable hotels.

Shangri-La--Cookie-cutter upscale hotels that do very well with the basics but are egregiously poor with anything that requires a personal touch. It's essentially the same hotel or resort no matter what location (offering the same dining options as well as even the same scent in the common areas). Unexciting but useful when one wants something familiar. A solid choice for business executive travel.

Six Senses--Glamorous resorts where people like to dress down.

St. Regis--Luxury Collection with contemporary hotels and more sophisticated software.

Taj--Jaw-dropping Indian Palaces and some other properties that should actually be spun off to a different brand.

Last edited by TheBrownPrince; Apr 20, 2018 at 4:04 am