FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:57 pm
mdcubsfan

Originally Posted by kavok

My guess is that if you get the luxury Amex, and spend enough to get Plat status, that the then earned plat status would count towards the 10 years of platinum status needed for eventual lifetime Plat.

The problem to be aware of is that even though you are getting Plat status each year because of Amex Spend, you are not also getting 75 night credits with it. Thus to reach the 600 night requirement for the Lifetime Plat, it may be much harder to do.

Remember, the new lifetime Plat requirement is now 10 Years Plat status AND 600 total nights.

So as far as we know the new AMEX luxury won't have the 1 night credit for 3K spend? That'd only be on the current Marriott?

So if I can hit 75K spend on the AMEX luxury every year for 10 years that will hit the first lifetime platinum requirement but it won't go towards credit for 600 nights - I'd have to stay hotel nights plus any earned night credit by spending on a separate Marriott card? (and at 1 night credit per 3K I'd have to spent 600 x 3K = 1.8 million to get night credits if just going via CC spend alone!)

Thanks!

Last edited by mdcubsfan; Apr 19, 2018 at 11:23 pm