FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:13 pm
gmt4

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by digimon
So here is my plan... I fly American Airlines almost exclusively. And in the past I would convert most of my Starpoints to AA miles (20K points to 25K miles). I currently have the aviator red card which I use only to purchase airline tickets for work. My plan is to cancel my SPG Amex and upgrade the Aviator Red to the Aviator Silver. With the Aviator Silver I get 3 miles per dollar spent on airlines and 2 miles for dollars spent at hotels (including Marriott properties) and car rentals. Everyday spend gets me 1 mile. The card costs $195 per year which would be a wash considering how much the SPG Amex and the Aviator Red currently cost. I would also continue to earn Marriott points for my stays without the use of a credit card. Considering that I was using most of my starpoints for AA miles, I think this might be the best route for me. I would love some feedback on my proposal.
That plan would work.. I also hold the same cards but have had the SPG Amex since 2007 so it helps boost my credit score due to the age of the account. So I don't really want to cancel it. I'm not sure how long you have had the card but for an older account it may impact your score. A newer account not so much. I may hold out and see what the SPG card morphs into.