FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Quite possibly the worst Delta experience in 30 years and 1.5 M miles
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:01 pm
BenA

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Richinga
I know I have only posted a handful of times on this forum but I just had to vent at an incredibly frustrating Delta experience. I’m a DM with over 1.5M Miles.

Several months ago I booked a ATL-JFK-PVG round trip Z class through Delta. Since it’s on Delta metal ATL-JKF and on MU on the JFK-ATL leg Delta booked it on two separate PRN’s. (I’ve checked several times and for some reason they can’t link the records). My flights are tomorrow. I checked in online for the Delta leg but I am unable to check in for China Eastern. After calling Delta they tell me that I have to check in for that leg at JFK. I explained that I only have a two hour layover and I’m concerned that China Eastern may give up my seat if I haven’t checked in prior to two hours before the flight.

Now here’s what has me fuming. I asked Delta to put me on an earlier flight to JFK to give me an extra few hours of cushion to check in for the MU flight, and they said sure, but it will cost me fare difference and a $200 penalty. I calmly explained that had they explained to me at time of booking that I would have to check in for the China Eastern flight at JFK I would have booked the earlier flight to JFK.

It took me 35 minutes on the phone with a rude “I could care less” attitude agent to get my flight changed at a cost of $130. They were so generous to waive the change fee. (Sarcasm).

I dont understand why Delta can’t check me in for a flight that they booked? Any suggestions to make sure I don’t lose my seat on the MU flight? I called China Eastern but they weren’t very helpful.
It sounds like you're having trouble checking in online with China Eastern. What's the specific error you're getting? It might be something the community here is able to offer some advice on. If it's that China Eastern can't find your reservation, you may be able to call Delta and get a record locator that works on the ceair.com web site for online checkin. (If the problem preventing check in is Chinese visa verification, though, you'll still need to see an agent at the airport.)

If it helps, two hours is more than enough time to check in at the airport if that is necessary. China Eastern keeps their check in counter at JFK open until 1 hour before departure, according to the table on their web site: Closing Time of Check-in Counter | China Eastern Airlines So you're not at all risking getting offloaded from the flight if you don't check in until arriving in New York... I understand the concern and desire to pad with extra margin for error, but you would have been totally fine with your original schedule unless a major flight delay occurred.