FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2018
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:40 pm
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by klanfa
I'd say these are also good for people who are stuck with Hertz, as only Hertz waives the underage fee for AAA members and USAA limited the fee waivers to insurance-eligible members only. With no comparison shopping, points are the way to go when cash rates are high. Also I'd say they're pretty good value on one-day, one-way rentals which are often priced well north of $100 but only ~$60 with points.
I've used the USAA rate at Hertz for my under-21-aged daughter; could you somehow combine that rate with using Hertz points? Or an AAA card?

I agree about the one-way rentals. There are ways to use codes to rent one-way with National at a "rational" price, but you can do it 100% legitimately without worry if you have Hertz points. Several years ago, I even rented for a week one way from Fairbanks to Juneau, putting the car on a ferry. A nice weird trip, that would be cost-prohibitive without points.

But this is weird stuff; not something most folks would regularly do. It's even taken me years to use up my last 10,000 points. Just better deals using other discounts.