FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Renaissance St. Pancras, London, UK [Master Thread]
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:00 pm
shawneve

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Originally Posted by BillBurn
I've stayed here many times (will be back next month for 5 nights) including one time with my family (wife, son (13), daughter (10) ) on points with two chambers rooms (one Jr. Suite, one Grand Jr). We paid a nightly supplement for each chambers room.

Not clear when exactly you are traveling relative to the August 1st program switch, but some comments/advice:

1. The Barlow rooms really are too small to fit 3 people. No space for a roll-away.
2. You should ask over in the SPG forum if you can use an SNA on an award/points stay. I have no idea if you can but it is worth confirming that this will even be a theoretical option.
3. From what I understand, you won't know if your SNA clears until, at the earliest, 5 days before you arrive (this could be wrong but that's what I gather from the SPG forum). I would definitely book your reservation and your back-up plans on 2 different accounts to make sure they aren't canceled out by the hotels as duplicates.
4. I am skeptical that this hotel will participate in SNAs because they currently don't upgrade elites to Chambers rooms (which is against policy) and they only offer Chambers's lounge access to Platinums (which is also against policy). Thus, given their history of not following the Marriott corporate line and how precious the Chambers rooms seem to be to them, I could easily see them refusing to honor SNAs or just not doing so in practice. That said, you'll know come August 1st.
5. There's a chance that after 8/1 you will be able to reserve a chamber's room with just points. It will likely be pretty expensive, but I listened to an interview with the SVP of Loyalty at Marriott in which he seemed to suggest that hotels would also be offering premium awards and they would be getting rid of the whole cash supplement game.

My advice: I would book at least 1 chambers rooms with the supplement right now (sounds like you are fine doing 1 chambers and 1 barlow, but just FYI those are two separate wings of the hotel). Once August 1st comes along you can reassess and see if your SNA idea is even a valid option at that point.

Finally, I know you don't want to pay the supplement, but for what it's worth I am glad I did with my family as they really enjoyed the hotel and the club. There's really nothing else in the Marriott empire in London that compares to the Chambers rooms and club.
Thanks for your feedback.
I am a longtime SPG and Marriott Plat so very familiar with how SPG has been handling the SNAs.
Basically, around 2PM hotel time each day, starting 5 days out, the 'system' checks for the room type you selected as your upgrade choice. (sometimes there are multiple) if that room is available for the length of your stay, it gets confirmed and your reservation is updated.
As you have mentioned, the wildcard is whether the St Pancras will fully participate in the program as they have a hstory of making their own rules.

The other reservation I hold is at the Kensigton where I have secured a standard room and a King + Sofa Bed Lounge Access room. (for a cash supplement) This guarantees the occupancy I need plus my whole family also gets lounge access as my wife and I will be in the standard room and the 3 kids in the Lounge access room.
Based on reviews, location, ability to secure the right occupancy and lounge access, I am content with this reservation.
My plan as outlined previous was to see if I could secure similar at the St Pancras. This wasn't even possible before the mid year program merge. My stay is in August, post merge.
So, theoretically if the Chambers Junior Suite were to be made avail via SNAs, I could have a 3 person room that grants Chambers Club Access. My wife and I could 'officially' be occupying the standard room but get Chambers club access because of my status.
I would have 3 or 4 days of 'SNA checking' to see if the above comes through. If not, I cancel the reservations at the St Pancras and use my original reservation.
In my experience the SNA will either go through the first day or not at all.
The advantage is if the room is still in inventory 5 days out, the 'system' claims it for you, and your upgrade entitlement is not bound by 'subjective criteria' when you check in. (as seems to be the case sometimes)