FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:53 pm
bgriff

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by geo1005
I currently hold the basic Marriott Rewards card and both the SPG Amex and Business Amex (and Chase Sapphire Reserve). All of my travel is leisure.

As it stands now (and certainly subject to change) I will likely drop the SPG Business card altogether, product switch the base Marriott card to the Marriott Premier Plus (if only for the one free anniv. night up to 35,000 pts.) and up the SPG Amex to the SPG Luxury Card (I know I'll use the $300 SPG spend credit anyway so that card only costs me $150) for Gold Status and actual SPG/Marriott spend.
I think the Amex Luxury Card earns the same amount of points per dollar spent as the new Chase card right? Both are 6x. (The current Chase card is 5x but the new one is 6x.)

Up to you but I'm not convinced of the value proposition for the Luxury card personally. It earns more than the Chase card on airfare and restaurant spend, but the Chase Sapphire Reserve beats it there already (3 UR points is worth at least as much as 3 Marriott points, by definition). On other spend categories it earns the same as the Chase. And the new Chase card will earn 15 nights' elite credit per year, so it would only take 10 more nights to qualify for Gold anyway.

The Luxury card does also get you the free night up to 50K points, so that plus the $300 credit may cover the fee on net, but not clear there's a lot more upside value to the card beyond that, unless someone were going to target the Platinum for $75K spend option.