FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:29 pm
kavok

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Originally Posted by mdcubsfan
Sorry don't have any answers but echoing the same questions - have been SPG Business and Personal CC for almost all of my spending the last 10 years

I typically have anywhere from 50-100K in spending a year. Which of the newest options would be best? I never knew about the Marriott CC giving night stay credits for CC spend, or else I could have (I think) gotten status over these last 10 years.

With the new AMEX Luxury card my understanding is I'd get Platinum, but is that lifetime or just for that year? Is is better to get a Marriott card that gives night stay credit for the spending?

Appreciate the help!!!
My guess is that if you get the luxury Amex, and spend enough to get Plat status, that the then earned plat status would count towards the 10 years of platinum status needed for eventual lifetime Plat.

The problem to be aware of is that even though you are getting Plat status each year because of Amex Spend, you are not also getting 75 night credits with it. Thus to reach the 600 night requirement for the Lifetime Plat, it may be much harder to do.

Remember, the new lifetime Plat requirement is now 10 Years Plat status AND 600 total nights.