FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you mind switching seats with me...
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:04 pm
Proudelitist
Suspended

Originally Posted by rickg523
Your third and last paragraphs are inconsistent.
If you don't care what other pax think, then asking you for a favor is not an imposition, forcing you to feel abashed or burdened in some way because you refuse. By virtue of your last paragraph the only imposition involved is forcing you to exercise your vocal cords or your neck muscles if you choose to simply shake your head "no" instead of saying it. Well okay, but if that's the extent of the bother while you're engaged in public transport, as you said - too bad, so sad.
I get your position, but why not just own it instead of adding that weak "By the very act of asking, you're making me feel bad or appear like a jerk to other passengers." It doesn't really ring true and just comes off as rhetorical overkill.
It doesn't matter if I end up feeling self conscious or not . I choose not to, but the asker doesn't know that, and most people would feel put on the spot. Askers frequently offer sob stories or some odd ranking system they came up with on their own that places them as a higher priority more deserving of the seat...kids, spouses, anxiety, handicap. It garners the attention of onlookers too. This is solely for the intention of making the seat holder feel on the spot.