FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:31 am
mdcubsfan

almost the same questions here......

Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
Anyone?
Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
1)Let's assume I want to keep platinum and I have a lot of card spend. What's the best card strategy?

If I understand the new scheme correctly, I get 15 nights credit by having the SPG AMEX. Then if I have the Marriott Visa Premier, I get one night credit per $3,000 spend. That would seem to make the path to 50 nights much easier than it would seem at first glance. For former SPG folks, they've made platinum harder by moving from 25 stays to 50 nights, but if you have a lot of card spend, I think you can easily make it via cards.

2) Here's another question: I understand they said SPG people can still qualify for 2019 under the old 25 stay scheme. But once they merge them August, do my Marriott stays count toward that for 2019. In other words, assume on August 1, 2018 a person has 20 SPG stays and 30 Marriott stays. Are they then platinum in the combined program for 2019 on that basis?

Any thoughts on these two points are much appreciated.
Sorry don't have any answers but echoing the same questions - have been SPG Business and Personal CC for almost all of my spending the last 10 years

I typically have anywhere from 50-100K in spending a year. Which of the newest options would be best? I never knew about the Marriott CC giving night stay credits for CC spend, or else I could have (I think) gotten status over these last 10 years.

With the new AMEX Luxury card my understanding is I'd get Platinum, but is that lifetime or just for that year? Is is better to get a Marriott card that gives night stay credit for the spending?

Appreciate the help!!!