FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by east_west
This is a reciprocal agreement where Marriott Plat elites get UA silver and UA Gold+ get Marriott Gold. The primary upshot is that UA elites get Lounge/Breakfast and Marriott elites get E+ seating and a free checked bag. Both elites also get (very rare) upgrade opportunities for either J seats or suites.

This agreement was negotiated based on the effective value of the two elite programs and estimates of the number of members from each side who would benefit. Reciprocal benefits dilute their own loyalty program for their own members, so these benefits would not be given lightly. Perhaps some cash also changes hands depending on the number of members or expected value of the benefits.

If Marriott is removing a primary reciprocal benefit for UA elites (lounge/breakfast), why would UA continue this relationship? I see several possibilities:
- The reciprocal relationship ends
- Reciprocal benefits are in parity with the old agreement
- United downgrades Marriott elites by removing E+ seating and free checked bag, effectively creating a "Bronze" tier.
- Marriott pays some cash to UA to subsidize the new inbalance in reciprocal benefits.
Would it possibly help if UA members complained about the lack of benefits for UA gold members compared to what Marriott people get?

I'm sure Marriott expressed intent to only match UA people to Gold in the future but I can't imagine it continuing with UA members getting basically nothing of value in the future.