FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I'm so fed up with Uber for charging more than the agreed upon price
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:16 pm
Phoneyjoker

Canadiancow:
I could be wrong, but this is my understanding of how uber and lyft work. They quote you an estimated price based on the distance and time they estimate it will take to get from your location to the destination. If say traffic conditions are heavier than anticipated (lets say a wreck happened on your way there, or traffic is heavier than usual, or you hit all the red lights etc etc) then when you finish the ride it charges you based on the actual time and distance to get to your destination. So if it took 5 or 10 or 45 minutes longer than the estimate anticipated then you will be charged the difference. As far as I know Uber and Lyft do not guarantee the estimate to be 100% accurate. I don't think this falls under fraud, or any wrong doing on the part of uber unless they are intentionally charging you more for miles/minutes that did not occur during your ride. Your ride is within 1.50 of the estimate (I assume this is CAD). So that would be even less USD. I am not sure what the per minute charge is in your market, but about 1.13 USD seems like it could mean your ride took 5 or 10 minutes more than estimated. Also after 2 minutes of waiting the driver's get so much per minute to wait. So a 2-3 minute wait and a 2-3 minute extra than anticipated trip could easily explain the difference in price. In other words I don't believe uber or lyft guarantee that this is how much the ride will cost under every circumstance, one of the exceptions being is the ride takes longer than estimated.

Last edited by Phoneyjoker; Apr 18, 2018 at 12:25 pm