FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:40 am
davidsc111

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jrothenb
I believe the concise argument why an SPG LTP with 750 combined nights by 8/1/18 (or 12/31/18 as some others have argued) should be mapped to the new LTPP, rather than the new LTP is as follows.

1. By staying 750 combined nights, the SPG LTP has achieved the same requirements as the legacy MR LTP.

2. Now, given that MR LTP also required 2MM added points over the course of the program membership (not taking into account spending), if Marriott can manage from an IT standpoint, it would also be reasonable for Marriott to take LT SPG points earned, multiply that figure by 3 (given the 1>3 SPG to MR conversion), add that number to the same member's MR account points total.

As far as I'm concerned, and I sincere hope that Marriott senior management agrees, if a SPG LTP shows both 750 combined nights, and 2MM combined earned points if this can be historically tracked across systems (when taking into account the 1>3 SPG to MR conversion), it is only fair and right that they be mapped to LTPP rather than LTP.
I would say if you have 750 SPG nights and the equivalent (before 3:1 ratio) of 2m points then you might have an argument. But combining the two programs nights and points to get there doesn't make sense. Frankly, I don't blame Marriott for only rewarding the people who LTP with Marriott. When AA and US merged they didn't go back to my US history and add up all of the credit card and bonus points I earned and add them to my Lifetime status (even though until like 2010 they counted that for AA). I kind of got the shaft...and US was the one taking over AA. That's how the cookie crumbles. But if I was SPG LTP and my nights/points equalled the LTP Marriott #'s I would try like heck to get them to make me LTPP...