FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:36 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CPRich
Unfortunately, people here get emotional attachments to status levels. As how much they would pay for PP status over P status, as defined in the documents. I would bet it's very little. But knowing a bunch of people have a title that's "higher" - huge emotional impact.

It is what it is.
Based on the way the tiers are laid out now, I would (and may actually do it) pay some amount to secure LTPP by August 1. It really doesn't have anything to do with the title.

My two reasons, both of which are just educated guesses at this point - but probably enough to me now to have tangible value:
(1) The United partnership. Since this is being re-upped in the new program and DL is being dropped, I suspect it'll be around for a while. However (this is the part where I'm taking a guess), I believe they will recast it as a benefit for Platinum Premiers. In other words, PP's get UA Silver; UA Golds get Marriott Platinum. Since I don't have an easy regular path to Star Silver, yet I like to redeem on *A, this has real value to me and would for years to come.
(2) Insulation against future devaluations in benefits. Since base Plat is the new breakfast/lounge tier, I would take peace of mind if I'm a tier above that. In this giant new program, it wouldn't surprise me at all if there's an eventual Hilton-style change that relegates regular Plats to a lesser breakfast when they aren't upgraded to the lounge level.

1 probably has more hard value to me than 2 for now...but if I have to, I'll pay a couple hundred bucks for it. I just need to sort out if I'm actually close enough to make a run at the 250k points I need in that timeframe. Already-booked stays put me at 745 nights by July 1, so a couple long weekends somewhere in July and I have the nights.